The Wonder


By Holly

The Wonder was written in 2016 by Emma Donoghue, who also wrote Room (2010), a worthwhile read. (Room is narrated by a 5 year old boy and made believable by Donoghue. No easy thing.) I watched the film The Wonder first, not knowing it was based on a book, because Florence Pugh is in it, and I’m a Pughie. After watching it alone, 2 days later I made my husband watch it with me. I loved the movie, and the book even more.

“The wonder” is Anna, an 11 year old girl surviving on 3 sips of water a day…for 4 months. Those in charge of her 1862 Irish county want to document Anna in order to potentially declare her a miracle. They hire a local nun and an English Nightingdale nurse to watch over Anna and her family to see if food is being sneaked.

There are no villains in The Wonder. Donoghue is respectful of the lives and motives of all involved. The relationship formed between Anna and nurse Mrs. Wright is foremost, and it's unique and beautiful. All characters are interesting and worth getting to know. I recommend both the book and the film, now on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment